Sunday, December 9, 2012

Look & Listen

It's Saturday and Christmas time -so much to do and such limited time.  Sam has been working overtime so I decided to do the usual chores; clean up the house and get groceries.  Grocery shopping is something I despise, so many rude and inconsiderate people in the stores on the weekends it takes a toll on me.  On this day, I said a little prayer, "please  God, help me stay calm'  -honestly, I didn't expect this to work.  (see previous post---I'm not an optimist)

As I walked through the isles, it was surprisingly slow for a Saturday, lots of room, no one gabbing on their cell phones or yelling at their kids. (like some weird twilight zone episode-- for those of you under 35 I'm not talking about vampires). 

I gathered all my goods, reluctant to be thankful just yet, I entered the check out line.  The cashier was scowling, I patiently waited for her to finish with the customer ahead of me.  As I moved up she grumbled an obligatory 'hello', I returned it with a bit more enthusiasm.  I don't normally make small talk, like my husband does ( I get in, get out) but I decided to comment on the lack of craziness at the store.  She replied, 'it was busy earlier', then she went on to say how Friday was even busier and after her shift she came back to the store with her husband. "What are you nuts?" I thought.   If I worked here (which would be difficult for me) I surely wouldn't come in after my shift.  " My husband needed to get out of the house' she said. he is legally blind and he cannot go out without me.  I paused.  "That must be difficult for you" I returned.  "Yes, it is very stressful, he can get around the house by himself, but he can't do much else'.  I murmured back to her something like;  I often think losing your sight would be one of the hardest of disabilities, like living in constant darkness.  Yes, she said,  he would much rather have lost an arm or a leg than his sight, it's been about 10 years now.  She finished my order and sent me on my way with a softer, more gentler 'have a nice day hun', you too, I returned, "Merry Christmas".  

As I walked to my car, it felt a little surreal.  I looked, I  listened.  I was thankful for a stress free trip, grateful for that tiny answered prayer for calmness.  I often take for granted; the ability to shop for groceries for my family, to drive myself to the store, for independence, for sight (even on a gloomy, rainy day) for smell and touch.   I said a new prayer, for her and her husband, may their much more difficult situation be met with some ease, some peace and joy.   I was thankful for the gift.


Merry Christmas season, my jazzy friends, I hope you are awake and listening during this amazing adventure we call life. I"m thankful for all of you and I leave you with these quotes.

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart”
Helen Keller

I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”
Helen Keller



No comments:

Post a Comment