Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What inspires you?

My next post, I promise will not be so deep and serious.  I need to stop taking myself so serious, but that resolution will take a bit more time, been doing it for 40 (something) years.  So today, I"m wondering, 'Are you inspired? Have you ever been inspired? What inspires you?.    For many years I have been the queen of self-help books, I don't have time to read the whole book now, so I look for quotes instead.  I'm looking around my office right now, here are some quotes on calendars, papers, etc:  ( "the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy: MLK Jr) --Wow profound and so true!
(another:  Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry.' Gloria Steinem--ouch!)  (If you really want something & really work hard and take advantage of opportunites and never give up, you will find a way- Jane Goodall---so true).  I LOVE QUOTES!  They inspire me, but only in a small way.  The real inspiration for me comes from ACTION & PEOPLE.  My mom inspires me, shes the reason I love self-help and quotes, she's a great listener, she makes me want to be a better listener, including listening to myself, something I'm not particularly good at.   In my 20's I was inspired by a hard-working auto executive, who happens to be related to me, she works so hard, she made me want a career of my own (oh and an umbrella for the rain and winter boots-but I didn't get those until I was 30 --fashion/over/function ya know).  5 years ago, I was inspired by a 20-something girl with a charasmatic personality, and a love of dance and music.  She inspired me to become an exercise instructor.  I was in awe watching her teach and laugh and smile the entire time, all the while motivating others!  I truly don't think she knows how she inspired me or how it/she changed my life (although she did ask me today if she could be in my blog soon- she is still changing my life ;).     I'm inspired by my husband who pushes me everytime I"m so willing to throw in the towel and give up. My kids inspire me to slow down, hug them, snuggle them, when I am in fast task mode.   So many inspirational elements; Music (very inspiring) Art- in many forms, quilts, quilt pictures, photography, painting. For me though, people are the most inspiring, people in action (how's that).  Go forth and be inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment